Some of the Board members of the Ban Ki-moon Centre were featured with other world leaders and experts at different breakout sessions of the political symposium during European Forum Alpbach 2018 on August 26, 2018.
A session co-hosted by the Centre and Austrian Development Agency (ADA) had a discussion focused on “Women and Youth Empowerment – the Sustainable Development Goals in Practice.” The featured panelists were:
- Márcia Balisciano, Director of Corporate Responsibility, RELX Group in London
- Michael Sheldrick, Global Director of Policy and Advocacy, Global Poverty Project, Global Citizen in New York
- Karin Kneissl, Austrian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Österreichisches Außenministerium
- Martin Ledolter, Managing Director, ADA
- Nour Barakeh, a youth representative
Other youth representatives including a Syrian refugee, Doaa Al Zamel, also presented their thoughts during the panel discussion. The panelists listened to their concerns and ideas regarding various social issues and proactively shared their expertise.
Another breakout session was hosted by Bertelsmann Stiftung and Environment Agency Austria with the topic on “Implementing the SDGs: the challenges countries face and the solutions they offer.” During this session, BKM Centre Co-chair Ban Ki-moon gave comments and the featured panelists were:
- Aart Jan De Geus, Chairman and CEO, Bertelsmann Stiftung in Gütersloh
- Christian Kroll, Senior Expert, Bertelsmann Stiftung in Gütersloh
- Susan Myers, Senior Vice President, UN Foundation in New York
- Monika Mörth, Managing Director, Environment Agency Austria in Vienna
- Herbert Ritsch, Director of Business Ethics, Bankhaus Schelhammer & Schattera AG in Vienna
- Jeffrey Sachs, Director of SDSN and the Center for Sustainable Development at Columbia University, Professor of Economics; Special Adviser to the UNSG on SDGs; Bestselling Author; Syndicated Columnist based in New York