“Half of my heart lies in Vienna,”
said Co-chair Ban Ki-moon at the beginning of the 4th Board meeting held on August 27-28th. Following the first Board meeting hosted in Seoul, the second in Alpbach, and the third in Kuwait, the fourth was hosted at the City Hall of Vienna in Austria.
Mayor of Vienna Michael Ludwig welcomed the BKMC Board members and expressed his appreciation for having the Ban Ki-moon Centre based in Vienna as well as its contributions to the city’s development in the field of multilateralism and its leading role in international affairs.
The participants included:
- Ban Ki-moon, BKMC Co-chair & 8th Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Heinz Fischer, BKMC Co-chair & 11th President of Austria
- Márcia Balisciano, Director of RELX Corporate Responsibility
- Irina Bokova, Former Director-General of UNESCO
- Maurice Lévy, Chairman of Publicis Groupe
- Ed Futa, Former General-Secretary of Rotary International
- Ambassador Kim Won-soo, former UN High Representative for Disarmament Affairs
- Ambassador Sadiq Marafi, Permanent Representative of Kuwait to the United Nations in Vienna
- Andrea Pfanzelter, Senior Advisor of the KAICIID International Dialogue Centre
- Michael Sheldrick, Co-founder and Vice President, Global Policy and Government Affairs at Global Citizen
- Ambassador Shin Chae-hyun, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Korea to the United Nations in Vienna
- Jean Todt, President of the FIA and United Nations Secretary General’s Special Envoy for Road Safety
- Dimitri de Vreeze, Chairman of the Supervisory Board of DSM Netherlands
- Monika Froehler, Chief Executive Officer of the Ban Ki-moon Centre for Global Citizens
- Ambassador Choi Sung-ju, Ban Ki-moon Foundation for a Better Future
CEO Monika Froehler moderated the meeting, briefing the Board on the Centre’s past engagements and development. The Board discussed strategic methods for promoting the activities and projects of the Centre as well as effective ways to amplify the messages through the Centre’s various partnerships and affiliated offices. Ambassador Choi from the Ban Ki-moon Foundation for a Better Future based in Seoul also presented the Foundation’s vision and mission to the BKMC Board and discussed possible collaborations.
© BKMC & Eugenie Berger