Ban Ki-moon participated as a panelist and a keynote speaker in the Jeju Forum for Peace and Prosperity held in Jeju, Korea on June 26-28, 2018. The forum was hosted by the Government of Jeju Special Self-Governing Province with support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea.
The Jeju Forum is a regional multilateral dialogue where high-ranking public officials, experts, and world leaders gather to discuss and share future visions on how to approach sustainable peace and prosperity in Asia. For this year, “Reengineering Peace for Asia” was the theme for this 3-day forum as Asia has been facing an increasing array of security problems and challenges for the recent years.
The forum suggested that the task of re-engineering peace can be approached in the following ways:
- to prioritize peace and prosperity in Asia
- to energize the process of achieving and preserving peace and prosperity
- to seek after Alternatives as new workable solutions
- to seek Cooperation rather than competition or conflicts
- to cultivate Eco-systems ripe for cooperative alternatives for peace and prosperity in Asia
At the Opening ceremony and World Leaders Session, Ban urged reinforcement of global citizenship, collaborative wisdom and cooperation between countries, and peaceful and harmonious way of denuclearization in North Korea. He also emphasized that there should be no more failure or repetition of the mistakes from the past.
Source & Photo: http://jejuforum.or.kr